It is the volatile oil obtained by distilling the dried flower buds (syringa) of the Myrtle family plant clove (in ancient times, it was mostly the oil extracted from the mother clove). It is light yellow or colorless and is a clear oily substance with the special aroma of cloves. When clove oil is left in the air or stored for a long time, it will gradually thicken and become yellowish in color. Insoluble in water, easily soluble in alcohol, ether or glacial acetic acid.
Light Golden Yellow
Clove oil is antiseptic and found to be good for throat, arthritis, rheumatism, sinus, cataracts and toothaches. It raises the blood pressure and is effective in impotency.
clovebuds, cloves, clove powder
Strength of Aroma
Medium to Strong
Rosemary, Peppermint, grapefruit, citronella, orange, lemon, rose and other spice based oils.
Clove Bud essential oil has a strong rich spicy scent.
In the 16th and 17th centuries Cloves and nutmeg were among the most valuable in Europe than gold.
Clove Bud essential oil can cause sensitization in some cases and should be used in dilution. It is to be avoided during pregnancy.
- Properties: Clove oil is a light yellow or colorless, clear oily substance, with the special aroma of cloves, sweet and spicy, and hot in nature; when exposed to the air or stored for a long time, it will become thicker and brownish in color.
- Main ingredient: Eugenol
- Content: 85%
- Relative density: 1.030-1.050
- Refraction: 1.530-1.540
Lilac, evergreen tree, up to 10 meters high. The leaves are opposite; the petioles are obvious; the leaves are oblong ovoid or oblong obovate, 5-10cm long, 2.5-5cm wide, apex acuminate or sharp, narrow base and often spread out into a stalk, entire.
- The flowers are fragrant and form a terminal cyme with a flower diameter of about 6mm;
- Calyx is thick, turn purple after green, long tubular, apex 4-lobed, lobes triangular;
- Corolla white, slightly purple, short tube flat, 4-lobed;
- Many stamens, anthers split longitudinally;
- The ovary is inferior, connate with the calyx tube, the style is thick, and the stigma is not obvious.
- The berry is reddish brown, oblong oval, 1-1.5cm long, 5-8mm in diameter, and persistent sepals at the apex.
- The seeds are rectangular.
How to extract clove oil
Supercritical CO2 extraction of clove oil
The cloves were crushed into coarse powder and placed in a CO2 supercritical extraction equipment. According to the process conditions used by Chen Gengfu (2002), the pressure was 10MPa, the temperature was 40°C, and the CO2 flow rate was 22L/h for 4 hours. The pressure was 7.0 MPa and the temperature was 45°C for analysis to obtain clove oil.
Extraction of clove oil by steam distillation
Crush the processed cloves with a small grain grinder. Accurately weigh a certain amount of dry clove powder and place it in a distillation flask, add a certain amount of water in proportion, connect the condenser tube, and start the distillation. After the distillation is completed, transfer the obtained oil-water mixture to the separatory funnel and let it stand still. After stratification, the crude clove oil was separated.
Add a certain amount of anhydrous ether to the crude clove oil, separate the water in a separatory funnel, and then treat with anhydrous sodium sulfate to remove the ether in the clove oil under reduced pressure to obtain refined clove oil. The extraction rate of clove oil is 9.94%. The volatile oils are all light yellow oily liquids with the unique fragrance of cloves.
The cloves are crushed, weighed accurately, wrapped in dried filter paper, placed in a triangular flask, a certain amount of organic solvent is added in proportion, sealed, placed in a constant temperature water bath, and placed in a constant temperature for different periods of time, and then taken out Filter paper bag and recover organic solvent to obtain clove oleoresin. Clove oleoresin is more viscous, and the smell is not as strong as that of clove volatile oil.